When you are tired and busy and stressed, it is hard to find the motivation to get things done. Your body craves sleep and you just want to become a vegetable. However, between work and mom life most times, that is just not an option. It is at times like these where finding motivation is key.
This week for me has been crazy! With the freezing temperatures in the Northeast over the weekend my office has been bombarded with claims. I spent hours driving around to and assessing claims. Some days I didn't even make it to the office. On top of that, we are preparing for my son's 3rd birthday party this weekend, so there is cake making and decorating and food prep and cleaning that has been going on. And the icing on the cake, teaching choreography for 3 hours for Anything Goes. Being 28 weeks pregnant on top of that makes for an exhausting mix. So here is a list of things I do to find the motivation to get things done.
- Look for the LightBusyness always comes in seasons. This week has been crazy, the weekend has Tyler's birthday party and the production of my dance company, and then next week I have 2 tests for grad school, Tyler's actual birthday and my husband's birthday. BUT, after that things calm down. I have no more grad school tests until April, everyone in my house's birthday's will have passed (except mine) and I have a prenatal massage coming (Happy Valentine's Day to me). SO after one more week of crazy, there will be a calm. Seeing the light at the end of the tunnel can help you do what you need to do now.
- Motivational QuotesGo search motivational quotes and make a motivation/inspiration Pinterest board. Find messages or people that inspire you and add them to this board. Whenever you find your motivation lacking, look here to give your self some motivational juice.
- Get MovingWhen you are exhausted, the last thing you want to do is go workout. It might even seem counter-intuitive. However, getting your heart rate up can actually give you more energy. It doesn't have to be some big formal workout. Put on your happy music and have a dance party. This works by yourself or with your kids. You get quality time with the kids + exercise + more energy to get what you need to do done! It's a win-win-win!!
- Get SupportSometimes as moms, we like to play the martyr. We love to complain about all the things we have to do and how our efforts are expected yet go unrecognized. Often times it's because we don't talk about it. Now I'm not saying to rub all the things you do in people's faces, but if they don't know we are struggling they why would volunteer help. When you know you have a busy day, tell people. Tell your spouse, I have all these things that need to get done. Chances are they can help you with some of them. Need a few items to prep food for the birthday party? Don't demand that they go, but instead list the things you need to get done today and explain how stressed you are. They will see that this is something that they can do and will often offer to take it off your plate. They feel like they are helping you and you don't have to ask. More wins!!
- Make a List and Check it OnceNothing motivates like seeing things get done. Make a list of all the things you need to do and then check things off as you complete them. Seeing things get crossed off your list is a great way to motivate yourself to get more things done. It also makes the list of things left to do seem less daunting.
What do you do to motivate yourself? Have any of these ideas worked for you? Stay tuned on Tuesday where you can see the aftermath of T's 3rd birthday Lego party!!!