Here is a collection of tips for fitness newbies that I've picked up along the way. There is tons of fitness advice out there, but these are the tips that I feel are the most important. These items will help you get the most out of any new exercise or fitness routine! The photo below is of me less than a year after having the T monster. I definitely made use of most, if not all of these tips.
So, without any further adieu, here we go:
- Avoid insulin spikes by not eating sweet carbohydrates. Instead try to stick to whole grains, potatoes and sweet potatoes. Minimize cookies and cakes, have fruit for dessert instead. Try to cut out as much sugar as possible.
- Exercise at least 5 days per week. This should be a combination of weight training and cardio. Having some muscle will improve your performance in the gym as well as increase your overall calorie burn. Don't worry, you won't look like a man if you weight lift a few days a week. Cardio is an awesome way to burn through those extra calories!
- Don't skip meals. In fact, healthy meals and snack are recommended! Try to eat 6 small meals per day to keep your metabolism elevated.
- Eat your fiber, daily. This will help with your digestion, will slim your waist, and will help with your absorption of nutrients.
- Drink lots of water!!
- Eat healthy fats including nuts, olive oil and coconut oil.
- Drink green tea. It has a slight stimulant effect and is rich in antioxidants.
- Create meals that center around protein. Your body cannot store protein for later, so you need to feed your muscles throughout the day.
- Get enough sleep. This is essential. Your body needs time to regenerate. Try to get at least 7 hours a night. It will help your body and brain function better!
- Brush your teeth after you eat. The taste will help prevent snacking between meals!
Hope you found these helpful. If you have any other newbie tips, leave them in the comments!