Here is a collection of tips for fitness newbies that I've picked up along the way. There is tons of fitness advice out there, but these are the tips that I feel are the most important. These items will help you get the most out of any new exercise or fitness routine! The photo below is of me less than a year after having the T monster. I definitely made use of most, if not all of these tips.
So, without any further adieu, here we go:
- Avoid insulin spikes by not eating sweet carbohydrates. Instead try to stick to whole grains, potatoes and sweet potatoes. Minimize cookies and cakes, have fruit for dessert instead. Try to cut out as much sugar as possible.
- Exercise at least 5 days per week. This should be a combination of weight training and cardio. Having some muscle will improve your performance in the gym as well as increase your overall calorie burn. Don't worry, you won't look like a man if you weight lift a few days a week. Cardio is an awesome way to burn through those extra calories!
- Don't skip meals. In fact, healthy meals and snack are recommended! Try to eat 6 small meals per day to keep your metabolism elevated.
- Eat your fiber, daily. This will help with your digestion, will slim your waist, and will help with your absorption of nutrients.
- Drink lots of water!!
- Eat healthy fats including nuts, olive oil and coconut oil.
- Drink green tea. It has a slight stimulant effect and is rich in antioxidants.
- Create meals that center around protein. Your body cannot store protein for later, so you need to feed your muscles throughout the day.
- Get enough sleep. This is essential. Your body needs time to regenerate. Try to get at least 7 hours a night. It will help your body and brain function better!
- Brush your teeth after you eat. The taste will help prevent snacking between meals!
Hope you found these helpful. If you have any other newbie tips, leave them in the comments!
You don't have to be a trained dancer to enjoy the benefits of dance. In fact there are tons of dance workout videos that you can access for free right from your home! How awesome is that! All of the benefits and none of the embarrassment. You can't lose.
Join us on our 28 day fitness challenge to transform your body in just a few minutes a day.
The perfect 90's music playlist to get your cardio on. Learn why I love having a dance party as my cardio and get my fav playlist!
Do you still watch Grey's Anatomy? I do. You know how people create drinking games to go with their favorite TV shows. Well I took that inspiration in a slightly different direction. Hence, the Ultimate Grey's Anatomy Workout.
The weather is warming up here in the Northeast and it's the perfect weather to get outside. Warm, but not too hot, park weather. Being at the park is the perfect time to get your workout in. This may not be for the super self-conscious, but its a great way to workout, spend some time outside, and let the kids run around. If you feel too awkward, maybe go to a less populated park or at a less active time. Either way, here's how to get your fitness and vitamin D all at the same time!
I love exercising. It makes me feel strong and fit. It gives me energy for my day and clears my mind. I usually like to exercise in the morning before the kids get up, but that doesn't always work out. When the baby wakes up early though, that doesn't stop me. I put together this little routine for exercising with baby that both Hailey and I love. We use it whenever she wakes up during my usual exercise time or when we just want to play together!
Mama, do you feel like you need an energy boost but lack the alone time for your normal workout? I get it, I've been there. The energy boost you get from a good workout can really counteract those sleepless nights, but it's hard to find the time, especially with a new baby. I am here to help!
It is winter which means we have little to no desire to leave the house. Who wants to suffer the cold when you don't have to. It's the perfect time for at home workouts. But what if you have exhausted your DVD collection and are bored with the same old workouts? This happens to me every so often. While I love my favorite trainers (read: Jillian Michaels and Chalene Johnson) sometimes I need to switch it up. It is at these times that I look to free online workouts to give some variety o my workouts and change things up. The following are my top 5 resources for free online workouts.
It is that time of year when foods are rich and desserts seem to be available in abundance. Even those who have a steady fitness routine throughout the year can succumb to the temptation of holiday treats. It really is hard this time of year with less opportunities to workout outdoors and more sugary treats appearing everywhere we turn. I've put together a list of tips to help us all stay fit during the holidays.