Mama, do you feel like you need an energy boost but lack the alone time for your normal workout? I get it, I've been there. The energy boost you get from a good workout can really counteract those sleepless nights, but it's hard to find the time, especially with a new baby. I am here to help!
There are multiple benefits to doing baby wearing workouts, and the following list includes just some of them.
- You don't have to find time when you are sans kids to schedule your workout
- Exercise is a great energy booster and helps you think more clearly (read: reverse mommy brain)
- You provide a good example to your kids of a healthy lifestyle
- You can bond with your baby and play with them while you workout
- Your baby will likely enjoy the movement. They may even get a good nap in.
- You naturally increase your weights as your baby grows
The following exercises are perfect for baby wearing mamas. They workout both the upper body and lower body without any jarring movements that might disturb your baby. They are great for getting back into the swing of working out.
The following exercises can be done in 3 rounds. You will need a chair and weights or a resistance band. If you don't have weights or bands, fill empty water bottles with rice or sand.
Warm up by performing 10 deep squats, walking for 2 minutes, and then 20 arm circles, 10 forward and 10 back.
- Do 20 walking lunges - Take a large step, lower into a lunge, rise and then take the next step
- Grab a chair and do 20 tricep dips - hold the edge of the seat and lower body towards the ground using your arms
- Do hamstring kickbacks, 20 per leg - Stand and kick leg back, can use back of chair for balance
- Grab some weights or a resistance band and do 20 bicep curls
- Do 20 side lunges, 10 per leg
- Grab your weights and do 20 side raises, 10 per arm.
- Do 20 calf raises, you can use a wall for support
- Do a side plank, 30 seconds per side
End with a minute of walking followed by 10 deep squats with deep breaths to cool down.
Baby Wearing Tips
While baby wearing is a great way to get your workout in, there are several things to be conscious of while working out. It's important to maintain good posture and form while performing the exercises. Exercises and activities that involve spinning, twisting or bending greater than 45 degrees in any direction, or hanging with baby between the ground and the wearer should be avoided. One should never lift weights above a baby in a carrier. You should avoid high impact activities while baby wearing.
- Keep baby tight. If your baby starts to slide out of the wrap when you lean forward, you need to tighten it up.
- Wear your baby high on your torso. You want to be able to give them a kiss on the forehead.
- Support baby's head, if necessary. If you have a newborn, use a wrap that allows you to support the head hands-free.
- Make sure baby's face is always visible. Keep two fingers of space between baby's chin and chest, particularly if they cannot yet lift their head.
There are a ton of carriers out for wearing your baby. I have definitely not tried them all, but I have tried a good handful. The following are the carriers I like best for use while working out.
- Moby Wrap - This carrier is completely adjustable and very affordable. It keeps baby close and secure once tied correctly. There are different tying options based on the size and age of your baby, so you can find the way that works best for you. I love this for infants especially because you can keep both their legs tucked in and their head supported.
- SIX-Position, 360° Ergonomic Baby & Child Carrier by LILLEbaby – The COMPLETE All Seasons - This carrier is also great for working out. It is super comfortable and allows airflow to the baby to regulate temperature. The support from this carrier is great and it is adjustable for however you and your baby feel most comfortable.
I hope this information helps you get out there and get moving with your baby. It is super important to do things for your own well-being even as a new mom. This is a perfect way to get your workout in and bond with your baby all at the same time. You can do it mamas!!